August 08, 2013

Garlic Chives

There was a clue when the chives I grew from seed had big flat leaves instead of the little round leaves usually chopped and sprinkled over a baked potato.

I kept waiting for the little pink blossoms of  Allium schoenoprasum
I guess I didn't read the seed packet very well. 

Garlic chives, Allium tuberosum, also called Chinese chives. 

These chives have flat leaves and sweetly fragrant white flowers which bloom in August. Garlic chives are used just as regular chives are: a culinary herb, an ornamental and in cut flower arrangements. Cutting for bouquets will assure that they don't seed all over the garden.

1 comment:

Janie Jurkiewicz said...

I'm envious of your greenhouse panels...my visqueen pretty much deteriotated over the summer and I have to redo it shortly..it's round to visqueen is pretty much the only option unless I change (I, meaning my husband) the structure itself.

I Blog Here & Here too