November 15, 2013

Twinkle LIghts in the Greenhouse

A string of lights from previous years hung among the grapevine garland in the greenhouse. Festive. Has not improved my mood.

 Burro's Tails are a good contrast to the rest of the greens. There are little 
rooting pieces in several places because so many segments get snapped off 
because I breathed on them, or the cat sneezed. 


This side of the greenhouse has all the flowers. Plenty of Wax Begonias mixed with spider plants and Foxtail Fern, the ill-fated Amaryllis that bloomed Pepto Bismol pink instead of the pale pink I expected. So far two have bloomed. As soon as the one in bud blooms, I will send yet another photo to the disbelieving vendor assuring them that indeed all three were mislabeled.  

Christmas Cactuses on the end wall are in various stages of bud but no blooms just yet. Some are close to bloom. I mislabeled a clearly white Schlumbergera cutting as Scarlet. I don't know how that happened but the buds are white, not the deep color that will bloom scarlet.

On the opposite all to the grapevine garland are bromeliads in good stages of putting on pups. I hope to wait until spring to divide them so the plants can stay together in a few pots instead of a dozen. It's hard for me not to put things to root -- there's a Epiphyllum leaf putting on new growth. I forget how it came to be cut, but I could not throw it away, despite the 5 full-sized plants that fill so much space.

Parsley seedlings appeared in 2 weeks. Alyssum is coming up one cell at a time. I sliced part of the basal plate on an onion and left it in the refrigerator for a few days. Now I have two little pots with tiny onion plants and I planted a celery bottom the way you see on Pinterest. I think it is going to sprout.

I planted some Agapanthus seeds back in early fall when they got ripe.  One has appeared. I am reasonably sure it is a tiny Agapanthus shoot: planted in sterile soil, definitely a monocot, forming a tiny bulb at ground level, I will be very excited to grow some Agapanthus. I don't remember reading how long from seed to bloom. I hope they are faster than Amaryllis. I have pots of young Amaryllis going into their third year, still not mature enough to bloom.


Looks cozy and inviting from the outside, doesn't it? There is
not room for an armchair and a reading table. 


2 comments:

Alison said...

It does look cozy from the outside. Too bad there is no room for an armchair at least. Love the twinkle lights. I am thinking of hanging a Pinterest-inspired solar light chandelier when I finally get my greenhouse built.

mr_subjunctive said...

I mislabeled a clearly white Schlumbergera cutting as Scarlet. I don't know how that happened but the buds are white, not the deep color that will bloom scarlet.

It might not have been you. Schlumbergera sports sometimes revert to their original color. I've only seen it in yellow cultivars (which are apparently especially unstable sports), but that's a possible explanation for your white buds.

I Blog Here & Here too