December 03, 2013

Burro's Tail Sedum

Sedum morganianum is a popular plant in photos. I aspire to having long donkey tails hanging from a basket. I bought a tiny plant less than a year ago.

The original plant came in this tiny
hanging pot. This is a cutting.

The original plant behind and a cutting with some leaves with tiny sprouts.
Do you see the butterfly on the big plant?

If you touch this plant or bump the pot, jelly-bean-like leaves fall off. Each leaf is capable of making another plant. A faster way is to break off a small piece, which is probably going to happen anyway.



Every little leafe grows a plant. Isn't that neat?

When I was researching growing these plants I found a site that said to water cacti and succulents that belong to the Crassulaea family at night. It has to do with the Calvin Cycle, which corresponds to our  Krebs cycle.

Here are the notes I took:

Calvin Cycle

Water Cacti and succulents at night. All members of the Crassulaea family = dicots

CAM: Crassulacean Acid Metabolism

CO2 entering the stomata at night is converted into organic acids.

Calvin Cycle: CO2 +H2O → C6H12O2 (glucose) +O2 +ATP (energy) carrier.

I comprehend it. I cannot explain it in detail. We all know about photosynthesis.

So far I am still watering when I think of it, but I will make an effort to water at night wthen the nights are warm. When the weather turns cold again most of these plants will not need frequent water.


Fun Plant.


No comments:

I Blog Here & Here too