January 11, 2014

LIghts, Camera, not much Action

Temperatures today returned to warm for January. It rained more than a half inch. I spent some time in the greenhouse checking plants for problems. My parlor palm had ugly brown spots on some leaves and stems. I pruned out the uglies and repotted the rootbound palm to see if it makes a new start. Otherwise to the dump.

I love the Mardi Gras look of the Christmas lights, so they are staying for now.


Most of the Christmas Cactuses have finished blooming. I pinched off dead blossoms.
Next to bloom will be Kalanchoes on the back of the potting bench.

Broad view from the door. Epiphyllums take up much of the whole north side.


Hyacinths for forcing are starting to show a few buds. 
They're planted with Graptopetalum and Sedum Acre.
Under the bench are white begonias, big begonia near right.

I rotated pots where hyacinths were stretching toward the light.

The repotted palm is on the left behind the Epi with some Bromeliads.
The little red blooms in the white pot are a begonia.

I set some seedlings out in the rain for a short time, and two ferns. 
There are a number of things I look forward to including an Amaryllis with a fat bud and more coming.

Heaters are unplugged for now. By midweek we'll expect another freeze but maybe a mild one.

There are two daffodils blooming outside!




2 comments:

Alison said...

I love the Christmas lights, they make the greenhouse look so festive! That sight would cheer me up so much in the middle of winter.

Alison said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

I Blog Here & Here too