January 19, 2014

Like Finding Homes for Puppies

My Hyacinths have grown buds and showing color, so it's time to give them away for others to enjoy the blooming process. I sent some home with visitors and here are some I was about to load in the car to take to church Sunday night.






All these are Pink Pearl, with companion Graptopetalum. I kept 3 pots.

White Pearl is not as far along. They are growing with Sedum acre in pots of 4. 

I'm already planning next year's hyacinths. Every year is different. I watch the Swedish and Danish blogs to see how they display their bulbs. They usually use a bit of sheet moss or even some regular moss like grows in shady places. Like here:
.   
That's an art metal armadillo by Bobby Varley, tiptoeing through the moss garden. 
All it takes for a moss garden is unenriched soil, shade, time and rare weeding and raking. 



4 comments:

janie said...

Your hyacinths are beautiful, Nell. Is that a succulent that is paired with them? I purchased the leftover amaryllis from WalMart. They were desperate to be planted, and are now happy as can be. I plan to put them into my yard so they can grow for years. I am making a note to force some hyacinths next year. Your church is lucky to have you, you are such a generous soul. :)

Alison said...

Just about every garden here in the PNW eventually becomes a moss garden. It truly grows everywhere. I'm tempted to pull some up and ship it to you.

outlawgardener said...

You are so kind to give these beauties away! Like Alison, I'd be happy to ship you some moss as we have so much!

Jean Campbell said...

Some of the prettiest amaryllis I ever had were already budded when I bought them, Janie.

PNW gardeners, I appreciate the offer but we have moss too. How much moss depends on whether it's a wet year. What I called a 'moss garden' is really just the edge of the field road, lol.

I Blog Here & Here too