February 24, 2014

Hyacinths, Hyacinths, Hyacinths

One of the loveliest and most fragrant bulbs for forcing, Hyacinths bring color indoors during the worst part of winter. Once prepared by chilling, and they can be bought pre-chilled if you don't like bulbs in your refrigerator where they refuse to share space with apples (blast their buds). They just need a container, either a vase of water or a small pot of soil.

If brought to bloom in water, special vases are fun but any vase with a narrow neck and flare that will hold the bulb above water allowing the roots to reach water and stay hydrated with the bulb dry.


After years of water growth, I now prefer to place bulbs in little clay pots of soil with at least half the bulb exposed. This year I gave away single pots of Pink Pearl and had pots with 4 or 5 filled with White Pearl.

Pink Pearl in the Garden 2014, planted years back.




Yes, that's a butterfly. 2012. I want this color again.

Next year's plan is for Blue Jacket and more China Pink. I may put them straight into the ground and save greenhouse space for other projects.

By next fall, I may forget this plan and decide on 3 shades of purple, or some City of Haarlem yellows. Maybe some hot pink Jan Bos and pale lavender Top Hit. It's hard to settle on a favorite.

Which is your favorite?




4 comments:

Alison said...

I like Pink Pearl, but that last deep blue one really knocks my socks off. I make plans too, and then forget all about them.

outlawgardener said...

They are all so gorgeous that it's hard to choose a favorite. Lately I've been enjoying a deep purple seen in stores. For me though, it's all about that fragrance that brings spring indoors during the cold of winter. I imagine that your greenhouse smells heavenly!

Goku shrestha said...

They are so beautiful!
I an doing pot gardening to some extent but have not been able to give much time because of office and stuff
Wish me luck :)

Goku shrestha said...

They are so beautiful!
I an doing pot gardening to some extent but have not been able to give much time because of office and stuff
Wish me luck :)

I Blog Here & Here too