April 29, 2014

Stormy Weather

The weather radio alarmed after 3am, warning of a tornado watch. I let the dog out before the rain which was not far off. By good daylight there were severe thunderstorms.

I went out when the rain let up to see if jungle cacti were still secure on their summer patio. The blossoms mostly are gone off the Easter Cactus in the green pot but the large one in the left bottom corner is intact. 

I checked my rain gauge which collected an Inch or water.



Yesterday before the rain I planted out 23 Chartreuse Alternanthera. I did not plant the 3 Porterweeds nor the Joseph's Coat Alternanthera that will go with them.

I meant to directly plant marigold seeds between tomato plants which are now clean of Toadflax and Poppies. I did get irrigation drip pipes into place and gave tomatoes a drink yesterday before they totally wilted. This inch of rainfall and all that nitrogen in the air should give them a boost.

Activity in the greenhouse is almost nil except for assuring that nothing gets too dry. I am eager for this cycad seedling to get big enough to go in a square pot.

 I repotted a burro's tail and some Graptopetalum together. I don't think I like it. The pebble trays are cleaned and replenished for giving humidity this fall. I haven't decided what to do with the Tillandsia on the right. The original plant produced 3 pups and I have not divided them. They take up less room as a unit. Maybe just a bigger pot? I think they're usually found as singles because it's more lucrative to sell three instead of one group. I think they're okay to grow in a crowd.

While there is little planting going in here, there's plenty of  activity. 


3 comments:

Janie Jurkiewicz said...

We got three inches in about three hours....here we are about to go for round two and again under a tornado watch.

Alison said...

I like the two different shapes/forms of the Burros' Tail with the Graptopetalum, but the colors don't go. It reminds me of a lady with a flower tucked behind her ear.

outlawgardener said...

I like your little green friend!

I Blog Here & Here too