May 24, 2014

Evolution of the Daylily

This is not a botanical thesis nor a detailed story of how daylilies evolved over the past century from a handful of cultivars to more than 70,000. That information is well-discussed on the web.

What I want to point out is how the common orange daylily from Asia evolved through the work of the late Arlo Stout and other pioneers of daylily hybridizing in the early decades of the last century.




















On the left is Hemerocallis fulva, the common orange daylily that our mothers and grandmothers had in the yard 60 years ago with few 'modern' hybrids seen.
On the right is Salmon Sheen, registered by Ophelia Taylor in 1950. In 1959 Salmon Sheen won the Stout Award and the AHS Popularity Poll.

The following daylily I take to be one from the 1970s or early 80s. It was mislabeled, I moved it a couple of times and then I found this bloom:

It certainly looks as if it could be a descendant of 
Salmon Sheen, acquiring ruffles along the way


This is my unregistered seedling grown from seed
gathered in someone's yard. I did not see the parent plants 
as seed was already ripe and the daylilies were out of bloom.


On the left, Inner View, registered 1982, a Munson daylily.
On the right, Silver Veil registered 1977, also a Munson.
Silver Veil and Zinfandel are the parents of Inner View.

All pictures shown are from my garden in late May.

2 comments:

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Love the orange daylily. I grew up with them along the garage and now have them in my garden too!

Janie Jurkiewicz said...

Thank you for pointing out the orange ones are a daylily. I have one very similar to the orange one, it is beautiful but I did not know if this was a one time thing or it would keep doing it.

I Blog Here & Here too