May 03, 2014

Votive Candle Holders and Shades



I pinned an idea from Pinterest, showing a small concrete votive holder. I can't remember where I got the idea to use a tuna can filled with sand instead. I finally put it all together: tuna can, sand and votive with a light shade. I remember seeing light shades and painted tuna cans on a post in a different Pin but I can't remember where the sand idea came from.

Sand-filled tuna can with
votive candle.



Nigella Light

I used light shades and saucers or small bowls with candles since Garden Junk days when we called them 'Nigella lights.' For a time I collected all the shades I could find at thrift stores, so I have a supply. These are some of my favs.

I didn't wait for dark to try out my new lights. At bottom left is the old style using a saucer that seemed to work better with the larger hobnail shade.

Tuna cans are in shorter supply. I used the ones I had before mostly for measuring 'rainfall' from my sprinklers. Evenually they rust. They are not hard to obtain.





1 comment:

Alison said...

The sand is a brilliant idea!

I Blog Here & Here too