June 24, 2014

Lantana montevidensis

Lantana montevidensis is the trailing Lantana, not the bush kind that reseeds everywhere. It is one of my primary butterfly garden plants. It is root hardy here and a great ground cover.

June 11, 2011 Lavender and white Lantana montevidensis with Rudbeckia. The Black eyed Susans soon faded and were replaced by Madagascar Periwinkles.

Every year I have the same plants in the same locations. At the end are Purple Heart plants and Chartreuse Alternanthera.

I took 6 cuttings of white Lantana to put beside the greenhouse. In two weeks, roots are growing out the bottom of the flat and they are blooming. Only one of the Lantanas by the greenhouse returned this spring but they were young, late cuttings. 

Today I prepared another flat that will hold 18 cuttings. I intend to spread white Lantana around like marmalade.  

August 27, 2013 Pentas and Lantana

I didn't root white Pentas last fall. One volunteered in the greenhouse floor. I thought I had three volunteers -- two turned out to be shrimp plant with a similar leaf. I'm deciding whether to put just one Pentas plant in the greenhouse bed or put the seedling out in the Yellow Rose bed with the 4 that returned there from roots.

Everything seems late this year and I'm slower than usual. I did get the herb circle planted before the rain came. Instead of Rosemary, I picked up a clump of garlic chives that were growing on top the ground, divided it and put the two divisions into the ground in the herb circle. Now I have to find a place for 2 Rosemary cuttings, or root more to make a little hedge somewhere. There are more Thyme seedlings, too. 

Calla lilies are outgrowing the 6" clay pots I put them in. One fell during the wind on Sunday and the roots are circling the pots. It's the time of year when things are growing and and little cuttings are needing sticking or planting or bumping up to  bigger pots. I commenced to feel like the old woman who lived in a shoe. I am grateful for the water they received from the heavens today and they're tucked in for another bedtime. 

3 comments:

outlawgardener said...

So many tasks this time of year, especially for someone like you who is addicted to propagating new plants! Fear not, shoes come in lots of sizes; perhaps it's time to think in terms of a roomy hiking boot.

Janie Jurkiewicz said...

Lantana has been one of the things (very) few things that I have made to root...(sticking it in the dirt)..mine are not the white ones that you have, but I do here how the butterflies and hummingbirds love them. I am learning to appreciate lower maintenance plants.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hello Jean and thanks for stopping by my blog with the Julia Child comment !
I have never seriously rooted plants .. I don't think I have the patience to do it or seeds for that matter .. I need instant results .. I think I am spoiled ! LOL
Joy

I Blog Here & Here too