November 13, 2014

Greenhouse Update, a Sort of Peek

I rearranged the Burro Tails:


Bromeliad Tree below with a drape of Spanish Moss. I gathered more Spanish Moss yesterday that was in easy reach while I waited for the end of the chain-sawing/moving trees that He-Who-Mows and Saws was completing. I have not found a good place to hang it that doesn't look awkward. Maybe I'll just put it outside for birds to line their nests without flying nearly a mile to find some.



Schlumbergera pots below with varying stages of buds in all colors. Larger pots are on the floor in front of Bromeliad tree above.


... and bits and pieces of rooted cuttings and seedlings that almost got left outside when I was moving things around.

Looking through a mess of stems above of leggy Graptopetalum and Firecracker Fern stems into a jungle of Tomato stems and fruit. If I can remember to keep oceans of water to the Russellia it will bloom little red firecrackers all winter, below.



When cuttings like this 'take' I want to rush out ahead of the coming freeze and take more cuttings to stick. Persian Shield is tricky to root; Purple Heart will almost root without a medium.

I gave away a good pot of rooted Alternanthera 'Chartreuse' on Monday and immediately pinched two more pots full to root, and some Red. I gathered Pentas seeds yesterday. I didn't think Pentas were easy from seeds until they started coming up in the greenhouse floor.

It's a grey day outside. Maybe we'll have a little rain. There's a cold wind blowing "right out of the North" as Daddy Mack used to say, as if 'right out of the North' was somehow more disagreeable (Mama's term) than 'from' the North. How did your folks describe cold weather?


Thanksgiving Cactus?


2 comments:

Alison said...

I don't remember any particular phrases that my mom or dad used to describe cold weather. But one of Nigel's favorite phrases is "colder than a witch's tit."

I have to remember to check on the water needs of many of the plants out in the greenhouse. They slow down during the cold weather, but some still won't be happy if they dry out.

Jean Campbell said...

Early in my greenhouse experience, I learned the hard way that a dribble of water might not be enough.

Some white shrimp plants failed because I THOUGHT I watered them well. They were dry in the bottom half and eventually turned crispy. I think that may be why Heliconias and Anthuriums didn't do well, too.

Now I pick up a pot and make sure water runs all the way through if it is a water-sensitive plant.

I Blog Here & Here too