November 19, 2014

The Best Part of Waking Up

I love the story about the little boy who put toy soldiers in his Grandmother's coffee mug because 'the best part of waking up is soldiers in your cup.'


He-Who-Mows and Makes Coffee sometimes has to reset the coffee maker before I drag out of bed but this morning I was up before daylight to see if the temperature really got as low as predicted. Shortly after I got up, it dropped one more degree to 24º which I think was the low. The greenhouse stayed well above freezing because I set the heaters higher than necessary, still fine tuning.  


A blog that I read had links to all kinds of accessories for coffee drinkers on her post this morning. One of the items was a deluxe milk frother. For free I put a little milk in a pint jar and shake hard. Take off the lid and microwave a few  seconds for hot froth. The deluxe machine does not heat. 

Usually if there isn't much milk in the jug, I just shake the jug hard for instant froth which cools my coffee just enough.

Oh, did you notice the Thanksgiving Cactus? First Schlumbergera to bloom in the greenhouse. I brought it in last night to enjoy indoors. I had to coax a tiny frog out of the outer pot before I left the greenhouse.

Another freeze predicted tonight. I'll wake up to Folgers in my cup and Frost on the landscape. My children never called them soldiers, they said 'Little Army Men.' I think I'll buy a bag of them for Christmas.

Folgers does not know that we use their product. We buy our own. 

4 comments:

Alison said...

I bought a bunch of Little Army Men this spring, intending to put them out in the garden, but never got around to it. What will you do with them?

Jean Campbell said...

LOL, Alison, I didn't get past buying. Give them to children to play with.

outlawgardener said...

Brrr! That's really cold, Jean! Do you often get temps that low that far south? Love the soldiers in your cup story and your Schlumbergera! I have a couple blooming right now too.

Jean Campbell said...

Usually we see a rare 22-24º low in January or February, maybe once or twice. Rarely does it get much below freezing before Christmas. I've picked Pentas for a Christmas bouquet in past years. Pentas are all limp and gray and dead now. It could be a long winter.

When you all leave the door to Alaska open, cold wind doesn't stop until it reaches the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico.

Sunday night's low is predicted 64º then it starts the downward trend again after we have rain.

I Blog Here & Here too