December 31, 2014

Brugmansia in Winter

The gorgeous ballerina skirts of summer are gone. The huge leaves that remain are black, tattered and hang limp.



I know that my PNW friends Alison and Peter cleverly took their Brugs under glass before frost. Hopeful of a return from roots, mine remain in the ground.

January 26, 2013: Brug cuttings in GH.

By end of March, 2013 there was a bud on one cutting. I tend to forget some thrills until I look at old posts.



Meanwhile, looking at this year's dead plants from a different perspective:




Among evergreens, they have an almost sculptural quality. Later I'll cut them to ground to wait for new growth.

Maybe next fall I'll find room for a cutting or two in a gallon nursery pot again.
Deciding between tomatoes and full sized brug plants is a no-brainer. Food wins.


Summer memories; anticipation for 2015.

2 comments:

Alison said...

Oh, that last shot is magnificent! Before I had the greenhouse, my Brugs used to look much like yours in the winter. I would bring them into the dark garage, and they would drop all their leaves and look very spindly all winter. I hope yours haven't frozen right down to the roots, maybe they'll leaf out from those bare stems when the weather starts to warm up again.

Jean Campbell said...

They will not leaf out from the bare stems. The roots will send up brand new green stems and leaves.

Usually they start out, get killed back by late frost and start again. Finally they'll be in bloom mid-summer. They get bigger every year even starting from the ground up.

Kept in the greenhouse, they would bloom in late spring.

I Blog Here & Here too