December 04, 2014

Improvisational Planter

Tiny seedlings and rooted pieces take up too much room.


I looked at vertical planters online and wondered if I could improvise some kind of planter. I was thinking of using hardware cloth but how would I hang it and what to line it so soil doesn't wash out.

Hardware cloth fashioned into a half tube and stapled to a 30" x 4" board.


A long piece of oak bark off a dead limb in the materials collection fit on one side.

The other side has pieces of lichen-crusted sticks.


Long fibered sphagnum moss lined the planter to hold soil.




Plants used include rooted Graptopetalum rosettes, Burro Tail Sedum, Mistletoe Cactus, Schlumbergera and a Kalanchoe.


It may not hang vertically, but it holds lots of little pieces whose containers took up room and were not attractive. It might look good as a long table centerpiece. This project used up materials that were taking up storage space while they awaited an inspiration and cost nothing.


2 comments:

Alison said...

Oh Jean, I love that! Well done. I wonder -- once they are all well-rooted and put on some size, maybe it will work hanging vertically then?

outlawgardener said...

You are so creative, Jean! It's a beautiful planter, vertical or not!

I Blog Here & Here too