February 23, 2015

Hyacinths, Again.

I rarely cut a flower for a Monday Vase. I do love flowers in a pot.


Moss with fruiting bodies looks like grass.





Anybody can force tulips. I like mine growing in pots. Some gardeners enjoy Hyacinth vases with water. Bulbs do need a chill period, DIY or order pre-chilled bulbs. Remembering to buy bulbs when they're first available early fall  means you could have Hyacinths bloom at Christmas or for Valentines.

These can be slipped out of the pots into a bed of soil outdoors when the blossoms fade. Next year's blooms might be kind of small but subsequent years they'll be a joy. I have pink Hyacinths putting up little buds outdoors now. Some have already bloomed. Pink seem to be the longest lasting, but don't discount the blues.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Very beautiful!

outlawgardener said...

Gorgeous and I can just imagine how incredible your greenhouse smells right now!

Ms. Wis./Each Little World said...

Your hyacinths are spectacular. I could almost smell them. I love the variations on pink in the last photo.

I Blog Here & Here too