June 23, 2015

A Summer Peek into the Greenhouse

It takes  much effort to keep plants from frying in the greenhouse when outside temperatures are in the nineties with 'feels like' temps in the hundreds because of the humidity.


Bits of rooted Iberis cuttings, a red Pentas that finally decided to grow, a seedling Gerbera daisy that may or may not be white and 4 Purple Alternanthera seedlings need homes outdoors.



  
The Tomato Factory is doing quite well I think, considering the heat. Last summer's tomato plant that fed us all winter is about to finish up the last fruits and be discarded. I'll need to start another to put in that corner.


Amaryllis are just marking time and growing bigger until time to rest a bit before blooming again. Most of them are labeled this time around except for seedlings.
They seem quite happy inside with moderate watering.


Just outside the door is a white echinacea, a daily reminder that in a month or so I'll need to plant seeds to start more of these from seed. We'll have to see if they remain true to color.


I'm thinking that I need to pull culms off this Areca palm
and grow more palms for indoors. I started one last year when I accidentally pulled a piece out of the pot. It thrived. This one might be happy just divided into 3 or 4 new plants with new potting soil.


Despite the heat, I find it hard to stay indoors. Then I find it hard to remain outdoors long enough to do everything that wants doing. Blueberries are begging picking, weeds need pulling. Dead limbs need picking up. 

2 comments:

outlawgardener said...

Wow! That's some tomato factory! Would the tomato that fed you all winter start producing again or do they reach a point when they're simply finished? I can't imagine it's much fun staying outside for very long in such high heat and humidity but it's all in what one's accustomed to.

Jean Campbell said...

That tomato not only fed us up to now, it's still producing. On closer inspection, I noticed that what I thought was growth and tomatoes from one of the later plants are limbs of the oldest tomato intertwined with the newer. It's naked from the soil 3/4 of the way up but new growth is crawling everywhere, like those pictures from Epcot that show their tomatoes: a bare trunk and trellised top growth. The old stem looks as if it couldn't produce anything. I guess I need to make a post on its life story. I wonder what one tomato year is in human years? 85? Time to root another sucker or two off Grandpa.

I Blog Here & Here too