July 31, 2015

A Last Look at July

A greenhouse in July is not a show place. On the other hand, it is possible to easily root plants under the mist that helps with temperature control.


 When wind blew down a stalk of Angel Trumpet I took 6 cuttings. They have roots growing out the bottom of their pots as did the 4 pots of white Lantana montevidensis. Two of the Lantana are now filling the space where a large lavender Lantana failled to return after winter cold.

Back of the cuttings are two Bromeliads, one is a tiny pup that I doubted would ever grow. It is growing. Hanging down is some Pothos that more or less planted itself when a piece broke off.

A red Pentas that took all winter to root is now blooming. I decided to keep it as a potted plant. The poinsettia that I neglected and thought it would die was doing quite well since I decided it had a serious will to live -- and then I let it go dry and it dropped some leaves but it's still a good plant.


Two cuttings that I took from this plant 
are rooting, I think. For winter bloom.

I took a tiny cutting from the volunteer Shrimp plant over in the corner. It drooped for a day or two but is looking better, too.

I made a To Do List and put an icon in the corner of my desktop. It helps me focus on what must be done, what I would like to do and look back at what actually was done.  The items marked DONE are very satisfying, including that for the first time ever I ordered fall bulbs before the end of July.

I made a change to my blogs. I had a Labels list at the end. It got bigger and bigger. There's a search box on the sidebar. I think it is faster to type in a plant name than it is to scroll down and search for it. The index is gone; I search by archive date frequently. 

August is another long, hot month. Time to move back to the top of my To Do List and start a new month. When I was looking at it, I noticed that I typed the date as 2011 much of July. I am a little behind but not quite that far.

What's on your agenda for August?



2 comments:

Alison said...

I have some Pelargonium cuttings rooting in my greenhouse too. Back in the spring I knocked a branch off one of my Brugs, and it has now rooted nicely too, putting out new foliage. This would have been the year for me to grow tomatoes outside the greenhouse, it has been way too hot inside it for them to set fruit, and I've never gotten around to getting a shadecloth for it.

outlawgardener said...

Geranium cuttings ready to be potted, a few new plants from a favorite nursery going out of business sale to be planted Tomato jungle to keep at bay.

I Blog Here & Here too