July 22, 2015

Blooms in the Night

Last night there were 6 Epiphyllum blossoms. I've had plants and divisions of those plants, since 2002. I gave away some pots of blooming size plants this summer just to make room.

They give a clue as to which night is the one by showing white as the tepals start to spread mid afternoon. The tight bud behind will bloom another day.

Anticipation in late afternoon


After dark they start to open.

Bedtime. Pistil appears at the partially open tip.
Reminds me of having a baby.

I went to bed before the whole flower opened up.

This morning the blooms hung limp and spent. 

Three buds remain for this cycle of bloom.
They will bloom again. Last bloom cycle is usually in October. The greenhouse will smell heavenly that night because they'll already be indoors for winter. 























2013 Photo -- they never vary.



5 comments:

outlawgardener said...

So pretty! I have a "Night Blooming Cereus" named "Mark Twain" that has been growing fairly large for the last couple of years. Perhaps someday it'll bloom. Hope I don't miss it!

Alison said...

I'm already anticipating having a bloom some future year on mine! Maybe I'll set up a time lapse camera when it does.

gld said...

It is a beautiful bloom! Even if I had one, I probably would never see it bloom!

I will just enjoy yours vicariously.

chloris said...

Fabulous.Is it Queen of the Night? I have a red and a yellow Epiphyllum but they are not fragrant although the flowers are spectacular.

Jean Campbell said...

The name Queen of the Night seems to be interchangeable among some web sites between Selinecerus grandiflorus and Epiphyllum oxypetalum which is this one.

Selinecerus grandiflorus is the one that USDA calls Queen of the Night.

USDA calls Epiphyllum oxypetalum 'Dutchman's Pipe' which is apt for the shape of the bud just before bloom. Aristolochia macrophylla and Monotropa hypopitys are also called Dutchman's Pipe. More confusion.

Mama called hers Night Blooming Cereus and it is not a cereus. I tell people to whom I give cuttings that if they don't want to say Epiphyllum, just call it by the descriptive 'Night Blooming Cactus' since it is a jungle cactus.

I Blog Here & Here too