July 13, 2015

It Is 100º in my Greenhouse; Take a Peek

One hundred degrees, and Humidity of 59% makes it seem hotter. Outside it is 99º in the shade. Were it not for good ventilation and a cooling mist the greenhouse would fry its contents.

 Part of my Amaryllis collection, gaining strength for this winter's bloom.

 Tomato plants are reaching for the ceiling. Nights are too warm to set much fruit but they keep blooming.

We still get the occasional brave tomato, set when there was a coolish night.


 Pelargoniums laugh at heat.

We've always called them Geraniums.
It is near time to take cuttings and find more room.

Most of the succulent plants and epiphyllums, Christmas and Easter Cactuses are taking a vacation under a tree nearby or in the Upper Garden perched on posts also in shade.

Outside, a tattered butterfly nectars on white Echinacea which does not mind being in direct sun most of the day.

We look forward to scattered rain showers in the afternoon, enough to cool the air rather than just turning to steam rising off pavement.


3 comments:

Tara Dillard said...

Did professional propagation for 2.5 years. Miss the work. Loved the fragrances....

Love a greenhouse. Yours is marvelous.

Garden & Be Well, XOT

outlawgardener said...

Yikes, 100 degrees sounds more like an oven setting! Glad your plants have good ventilation and a cooling mist. Hope you are keeping cool and hydrated!

Refugia Stein said...

I happened to try my hand in a greenhouse as a project initiated by my husband. It is a great move but requires a detailed and careful approach. Your greenhouse looks wonderful, and I commend you for sharing some tips on it and how it is operating. I guess I have to borrow a few tips from here.

Refugia Stein @ Container Domes

I Blog Here & Here too