December 22, 2015

The Last Poinsettia

  1. Last year's poinsettia refused to die. It's a pitiful thing with some tiny reddish leaves and a promising bud or two. 




  1. The black florist pot it was never transplanted from needed something to hold it.
  2. I found a big gold cache pot that was too deep. I tried a piece of fossil Limestone. 

     The limestone rock was too big. A handful of river stones supported the pot just fine.                               


  3.  Once I set it in a big gold pot and surrounded it with Schlumbergeras and a Pelargonium or two, it looks so much happier and festive.


  4. That's about as festive as it's going to be. In the spring I will take this determined plant out of the pot it was in for more than a year, examine the roots and replant it. It deserves a chance to bloom once more.
  5. Thanks to Peter Herpst, my pitiful poinsettia now has a theme song: Percy the Puny Poinsettia. 























4 comments:

outlawgardener said...

Your poinsettia makes me smile as I've got a couple that I badly mistreated from last year but they were determined to live. I suppose I should look at them to see if they're doing anything out in the greenhouse. Yours does look much more festive with the shiny pot and floriferous companions. Do you remember the song, "Percy the Puny Poinsettia?" https://youtu.be/R4D0O25IS_I

Jean Campbell said...

Percy is now my new favorite silly Christmas song, replacing Grandma Got Run Over. I never heard it before.

Oh, wait! My favorite silly Christmas song is Bad Little Boy by Ray Stevens. I've parodied that before.

Anyhow, I hope nobody urges another poinsettia on me this year.

Sallysmom said...

Love that piece of limestone.

Les said...

You are too kind. I think tossing the poinsettia onto the compost pile is a ritual marking the end of the season.

I Blog Here & Here too