January 23, 2016

A Bromeliad Brightens a Blustery Day

Two years ago I bought a pitiful specimen of Bromeliad Vriesea, almost dead at a big box store, marked down from 7.98 to 2 dollars.

2014

I knew it for a bargain: notice the two pups on each side of the main plant? They've grown into a big pot full of foliage. 

Now one of the pumps has a bright orange-red bract forming. 

Never mind that I went out to take a pic and there were complications and there is no photo. Yet. It was too cold to lock up the greenhouse, come in and get batteries and a card and go back and do all that opening and closing again. I went on to where the freezers are to get supper fixings. The wind was so strong it was hard to open the door when I left the equipment barn.

We are hardly inconvenienced by the weather except that it is unpleasant to go outside as is my habit. We are in the corner of the state that escaped snow. 

We had Italian hot cocoa a little while ago. Just as I was about to prepare it, our sweet neighbor stopped by with 3 generous slices of pound cake.   


I sat by this window to rip seams in my sewing project this afternoon. The house protects Camellia 'Mathotiana' from the cold. Lights in the room and other windows are reflected but you can get an idea of the flowers.

I'll get pictures of the Bromeliad as it grows on up. It is always a thrill to have a bracts and blossoms forming on a rescued plant. 


 

3 comments:

Sallysmom said...

That camellia is sure loaded with blooms. Beautiful!

Alison said...

I have quite a few Bromeliad pups growing out in the greenhouse, that still need to be separated from the old mother plant. They've been needing that since last winter, but I just don't seem to get around to it. Sorry it's been so cold there.

Jean Campbell said...

I think, Alison, I just think that unless you want more and more individual pots of Broms, that leaving them in a group is not a bad idea. When they get too back for their britches, uh, pots: Repot in a bigger container.

The ones that bloomed will just finally fade away and the children will fill in the space.

I Blog Here & Here too