October 09, 2016

Filling with Plants and Pots

It is not as exciting as it used to be. Am I jaded or just weary?

 I brought Amaryllis into the Mule Barn for a rest. Foliage died back and new leaves emerged, so 4 are in bright light again, hoping for buds soon. I took one out of its pot -- the roots are pretty and white. The tops of the bulbs were kind of soft but the widest part is firm. I scratched away the cedar needles and left the bulb tops exposed. Not going to repot, just give a little fertilizer later.



I have containers of Burro Tail Sedum growing from little beans that broke off. 

 Episcia, new this year. It had a little worm, I saw frass. I can't find the critter. Yet. Those little green bits are tomato cuttings, more experiments for the winter.

Amaryllis, Bilbergia and Rabbit's Foot Fern
  The two pics below show shelves on the east end of the GH.
Tomato vines are vining across the top in front of the fan.
The next shelf has mostly aqua color pots,
few are filled yet except for a couple of Christmas Cacti.



















 This shelf has Christmas Cacti in square pots: one each of yellow, white, peach, pink and red. A fern planted itself in one.

Here is a broader view below of the two shelves above:
 
 Bringing the jungle cacti into the greenhouse. The old Easter Cactus that belonged to Miss Winnie is still alive, needs to be cut into pieces and new plants started, a plan for next spring because so many pots take up room. There are 3 good pots of Easter Cactus.
I'm 'bottoming' some of the Cacti with new soil in the bottom of the pot and taking off all the cedar needles that fell into pots.

Bird's Nest Fern reached enormous proportions. Nightblooming cactuses are indoors.  The cactuses are going to be underneath where the tomato plant will eventually crawl past the tin rooster and rest over on the wicker shelves. One that didn't fit is under the shelf with the Bird's Nest. One long limb I couldn't make behave I just cut off and stuck in a pot of soil that was sitting at the door.


 The tomato vine is crawling right on over past the rooster. This is my experiment for the winter, to see if the same tomato plant can continue, topped with fresh soil and fertilizer.

 These are new this year.


 Mistletoe Cactus is one of my favorites. 

I'm disappointed in the Bromeliad tree. They lost a great deal of leaves in summer heat and look sad. It stayed inside because it was so heavy to try to drag out. I have some nicer Neoregelias and some pups coming on from the potted Broms that bloomed outside. Notice the Persian Shield growing behind the 'tree.' It needs cutting back to encourage new growth which might help the looks of the 'tree' too. 


 Burro Tail. There's lots of these.


 Empty cache pots are everywhere, awaiting grouping by color and filling as needed.


Brought Staghorn Fern in last night. It rejuvenated itself out under a tree.

3 comments:

outlawgardener said...

Not jaded, just aware of what to expect and the amount of work it will take. You still have experiments going on which shows that you still enjoy plants and the surprises they bring. Do we sometimes forget, in the middle of the work part, the joy that plants will bring? Maybe you're just going through a dry spell garden wise. Your greenhouse shelves are looking good and packed with goodies!

Alison said...

I think our enthusiasm for the garden comes and goes, waxes and wanes. You're still experimenting, so that's good. I was afraid my bird's nest fern might have died, it did nothing over the summer but it just now is starting to produce some new fronds. I have lots of burro's tail babies too, but they're still tiny.

Sallysmom said...

You have put me to shame once again. You certainly got a lot done in the greenhouse. Wished I lived close enough to you to have helped you.

I Blog Here & Here too