October 21, 2016

Nighttime Greenhouse Peek

 Nighttime temperatures are changing rapidly. Today's high was 75º and work can pick up.
This afternoon I raked pine straw that was falling like rain in front of this morning's wind.

 Summering outside was good for my Staghorn fern. It tends to look sad by winter's end, a vacation under trees and good rainfall gave it new life.

 Underneath the the Staghorn are cuttings. Purple Heart looks good, Persian Shield is kind of sad and I think the Porterweeds will be to discard, despite one being secure in the soil as if it is putting on roots. There are more cuttings, in water. They do not look so weary as these.

Another Tradescantia with finer leaves, new this year from my Alabama friend Kathy, hangs off the shelf on the East wall. The inevitable tomato plant crawls across the the topmost shelf. It's been trimmed and has a single fruit so far. The ladder is from where I put in new light bulbs. I wish there was room to leave it.

Tomato on the north wall has blooms, no fruit. I am hopeful.

I like the new light bulbs. No globes because of the weight.

Anytime after next weekend Hyacinth bulbs can come out of the refrigerator to rest in little pots and grow roots. I hope for Christmas bloom. Usually they bloom after Christmas because I can never get bulbs soon enough. These are a new 'speriment at maturing bulbs in their pots to see if they'll set buds for a second year. Other bulbs are on order for later.


Deborah said...

I found you! Thanks for commenting on The Consummate Gardener and for adding me to your blog list. I really need to have a blog list.

I love your greenhouse! If I could, I'd cover my entire courtyard with a greenhouse, but I'd have to have one with rollup sides so I could use it in the summer.

I have a staghorn about the size of yours. Interesting story, that one. It was really big, but it died, and I cut it up and stuck it around some orchids. One day, I saw some green and it was sending out leaves from one of the cut sides. This continued on a lot of the cut pieces until I had a nice sized plant. Then I left it out in the sun when I moved, and it got badly sunburned. It took a year to come back, then I moved again and you guessed it -- did the same thing again. It's coming back now, but only because I have it hiding under a chair for shade and have babied it all year.

Gardening is an adventure!

Sallysmom said...

When did you put your hyacinths in to chill?

Jean Campbell said...

I put the current hyacinths in to chill on August 22, only because I had them from last year, matured and saved after they bloomed. It's a trial to see how second year bulbs fare if they're properly matured.

Usually, commercial bulbs are not available until late September or after. I ordered some that school children were selling, haven't seen them yet. Whether I chill them or just plant them shallowly outdoors depends on whether there's time for 10 weeks chill before they would usually be putting up buds outside. They'll need chilling in pots of soil; the early ones are in a brown paper bag.

Bulb experiments are my favorite fall and winter activity.

outlawgardener said...

Greenhouses are magical at night and I loved seeing yours at that time.

I Blog Here & Here too