February 15, 2017

Bloom Day February 15 2017

A mild winter means we have early blooms.

Tulip magnolia:

Star Magnolia, Leonard Messell:

Azaleas are opening much too early. Frost could ruin these but others are holding back, just in case. Mostly it depends on whether they're protected from cold wind.
This is Pink Pearl azalea:


Back when Loropetalums were first popular, the famous hort guy at UGA dismissed the white as not of any consequence. I did not agree and when Miss Billie offered me seedlings, I took them. Later he changed his mind as to whether they were worthwhile in the landscape.

White Loropetalum:

Rose pink Loropetalum:

Loropetalums tend to make trees when not kept harshly pruned into hatboxes and meatballs as landscapers in town do.

I let mine grow into trees and prune the bottoms:.


Some daffodils are just beginning to come up. The season is long if you plant different ones.
The early ones like Ehrlicheer and these Sweetness jonquillas are blooming:

This was not a good year for Hyacinths for lack of chill but some are blooming, just not very tall.
The darker pink one had an earlier bloom; this is the second bloom.

It's fun to have something besides the usual daffodils, hyacinths and iris.
Snake's Head Iris:

 The 3 Camellias below are seedling plants that I planted seeds some 15 years ago. They're not outstanding but they are a novelty.





The Camellia below is more than 40 years old and embarrassingly gaudy when cold doesn't take out the blooms:






White Camellias are my favorite.




Long may She Wave!

Happy Windy Bloom Day.

Bloom Day links are Here.

8 comments:

danger garden said...

You have Magnolia blooms!!! Thank you, this was a lovely Bloomday post with a big old dose of spring.

Carol said...

Lots of blooms in your garden! I'd love to have an old gaudy camellia but have to settle for a twig that is about a foot tall and supposed to be hardy enough for my climate. So far, it appears to have survived its second winter. Thanks for sharing all your flowers for bloom day!

Kalantikan said...

Hi Nell Jean, long time no see, hehe. That white loropetalum, even if i don't know it is very lovely. I also don't agree with the horti guy you are referring to. And that flowering tree you posted is really wonderful.

Sofie Vandersmissen said...

Wow you have a lot of beautiful blooms in your garden! I have never seen tulips like in your first picture. Beautiful!

Greetings, Sofie #26
http://sofiecreates.blogspot.be/2017/02/garden-bloggers-bloom-day-february-2017.html

Lea said...

Wonderful!
Have a great day!

Anna K said...

That tulip magnolia is to die for... SO wonderful!!!

Gone Tropical said...

I love your magnolias, especially the tulip magnolia, I believe they need cold temperatures Central FL cannot provide. But I can't get over the Snake's Head Iris, very unusual. The Camellias brought me to your post, so beautiful!

Sallysmom said...

I don't know how I missed this post. I had been checking religiously but oops! Anyway, my outdoor hyacinths bloomed close to the ground. I found on an older post of yours that it was due to lack of winter chill and I see you mentioned that again here. However, I believe yours look much, much better than mine. I did the indoor ones again this year and had some that were very pretty and some that were not. Too many of the mixed bag was that dark pink and for some reason they bloomed out very quickly. My camellias had blooms the size of a quarter. I don't know what could have caused it unless it was because we had summer drought 2 years in a row. Anyway, it is good to see a post from you. I learn so much.

I Blog Here & Here too